I was recently reading a book on motherhood titled, "Things I Wish I'd Known Sooner...Personal Discoveries of a Mother of Twelve" by Jaroldeen Edwards. Near the end of her book she tells an interesting story that I thought I would share.
"As women we have a unique, vibrant, and rich heritage that must be preserved. We should weave it into our daily lives and teach it to our children. It is the gold that we should garner from the ashes.
I recently researched the life of the first Mormon woman in Dallas. Eliza was converted by missionaries in Rockwall, a small community about 30 miles east of Dallas. At seventeen she married a neighbor's son, whom she fell in love with at first sight.
How Eliza loved the gospel! When she and Kelsey finally decided they must move to Dallas to find work, she wept all the way, feeling she was going to the ends of the earth. On the wagon trip, she took a pile of church tracts and dropped them from the wagon as they traveled, leaving a trail of missionary opportunities from Rockwall to Dallas. She prayed people would find the pamphlets on the road, pick them up, read them, and then search for the church.
The first tiny church meetings in Dallas were held in Eliza's home. She has lived to see seven stakes organized in Dallas (1991), and her own beloved grandson, Floyd Humphries, was the architect of the Dallas Temple. In women such as Eliza, we see the patterns of aspiring to grow, yearning to know more, and bequeathing a meaningful legacy."
What legacy will you leave?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment